Kindness is something we have all been taught at a young age. All mothers want kind children. My mother taught me, and I taught my children. I think they listened.
Thumper learned kindness, as well. Thumper said in Bambi, “If you can’t say somethin’ nice, [long pause], don’t say nothin’ at all.”
Kindness. It starts at home.
Based on Matthew 7:12, the common English phrasing is one we should all adhere to everyday. My mother would always tell me, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” I think I listened.
I have been guilty, I know. We are all human. No excuse when it comes to other people. We have all been guilty of hurting feelings and we have all had hurt feelings. After all, again, we are all human.
The trick is to stop yourself in the heat of the moment, stop and be kind. Listen to your mother!
Human feelings get intertwined, and because of that, sometimes kindness gets lost when you don’t think about other people’s feelings.
I read something today that hit me. I sat up and took notice and I knew I wanted to include it in my writing today. Ashley Duvan writes a lot of meaningful and inspiring poems and quotes. This one hit home.
“It is difficult to remain soft in a world that can be so unkind, but that’s what makes you so delicate, darling, that’s what makes you a beautiful warrior.” –Ashley Duvan“It is difficult to remain soft in a world that can be so unkind, but that’s what makes you so… Click To Tweet
Most of us delight in kindness. Although it is a practiced art form and if you do not practice you might forget kindness. So, practice and practice every day.
My husband and I, have a little game we play with each other. We try to make other people’s days. With kindness. He will say to me, “How did you make someone’s day today?” Or I will tell him, “I made someone’s day today!” Practice makes perfect. (another thing my mom taught me!)
“Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.” Henry James listened to his mother.
Because really, if you think about it, an act of kindness is actually selfish, because you end up feeling good, feeling blessed. You end up with a soft feeling and a warm feeling. A selfless good deed. Being kind to others not only benefits others–it benefits you as well. Win-win. (I learned this from Phoebe and Joey on Friends)
Here are some simple ways you can spread kindness today. The first one is the simplest of all.
- Smile. Share your smile with everyone. It might be the only smile people see during their day. It could make a difference in a bad day.
- Drive kinder. Let people into your lane when they have a blinker on. When someone is pulling out of a parking lot, wave them into your lane (if it is safe). Or let someone else have that parking spot!
- Leave a bigger tip than you normally do. People are serving you and they make a living doing it. Be a better tipper.
- Buy someone coffee. The ‘Starbucks act of kindness’ really is an awesome phenomenon.
- Open a door for someone. Yes, girls-even you. It makes people smile.
- Help someone at the grocery store get something off a shelf. This one is hard for me due to shortness but I have done it. Sweet little ladies, someone in a wheelchair, or someone in a walker.
- Write a note to your grandparents. A hand-written letter is so important. It makes people smile. Everyone loves to get mail! (except for bills!)
- Call your mother. We love calls from our children, right MOM?
- Spend time with someone, perhaps someone you don’t know very well. Get to know them. Buy them a coffee.
- Bake for someone. You don’t have to wait until Christmas. Do it now. Homemade goods are a sure way to bring a smile to someone.
“Do your little bit of good where you are; it’s those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.” ― Desmond Tutu
The world needs more kindness. If you ever thought you couldn’t possibly change the world—think again! You can change the world, one smile at a time through simple kindness.
After all, like Anne Frank wrote in the Diary of Anne Frank, “No one has ever become poor by giving.” ― Anne
So give. Give kindness. Give a smile.
I hope for you smiles today. I hope someone smiles and makes your day.
How can you make someone’s day?
Love and blessings~dd