Rest is not only healthy for your body; your spirit needs rest, also. Resting is just as important as what you eat and exercise. How do you rest your body and mind?
My body screams at me when I need rest. The need to rest your body and mind is so important and if you don’t listen, your body should scream at you. It’s not a gentle whisper–it is full on, thunderous scream that I feel all through my body. I have Psoriatic Arthritis, a form of arthritis that affects your entire body with chronic pain and joint damage. PsA is an autoimmune disease, meaning it occurs when the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissue in the joints and skin.
Because of this, it is important for me to listen to my body. It is important to rest my body and mind. If I don’t, it will end up screaming at me.
I have learned a few things the last few years, perhaps through my writing, perhaps through my age. I took my head out of the clouds. I became me. I realized I was happier looking up at the beautiful blue sky and the fluffy clouds, and not trying to reach for them.
This gave me rest.
I let go of perfection. This is hard but once you do, you can rest. It is okay to not be perfect. It is okay to not have perfection. I finally learned to take the time to listen, instead of think. Be Still and let go. I find a lot of rest in these words.
Be Still is something I say to myself regularly. These two words have an important meaning and I hold it close. I also wrote about Be Still here.
Be Still and breathe.
Be Still and listen.
Be Still and rest.I finally learned to take the time to listen, instead of think. Be Still and let go. #dedradaviswries Click To Tweet
“So I fled the me that wasn’t really me and I’m on my way. To newer lands and unclean streets.” -Charlotte Eriksson
These are all mental ways I have found rest. Peace. Below are ways to find rest in a physical way. Find your rest and you will rest your body and mind.
- Find your favorite spot in your house and go sit. For me, it is in my sunroom. I can sit there all day. Rest. I write ‘in my little piece of heaven’, I also rest there. Make yourself a spot in your house. No T.V. No distractions. Find comfort and you will rest your body and mind. Just sit. Be Still.
- Have your coffee outside. Have anything outside. Enjoy nature. Soak it up. If you don’t have a backyard or a balcony, walk to the park. Getting one with nature is relaxing, renewing and a great place to Be Still.
- Many people find a hot bath to be relaxing. I enjoy a shower. I think am going to try bathing again. I plan to turn on music, have a candle, most likely pour myself a glass of wine and I should have a book. That all sounds relaxing to me so I think I will try this again, soon. I can sit in a hot bath and Be Still.
- I am also not a nap-taker, but I know a lot of people believe in the power nap. Perhaps, I am not old enough yet? I believe there are nap ages–when you are very young, college days and when you get much older. (So, I have a few years before I nap again.)
- Sometimes driving relaxes me. Great music playing, no conversation, and road, with no traffic. (You don’t want to get too relaxed though!)
- A great book and a nice place to read (again my sunroom!) is a great way to rest your body and mind. My problem with reading–it tends to be all I do when I start reading. I just read–I don’t cook, I don’t do laundry, I don’t shower! (perhaps the book in the bathtub would work here!!) So while reading is relaxing for me, I need to be able to drop everything until I finish the book.
- Vacations, most anyway, are a great way to relax and rest your body and mind. (although, some vacations have me dragging at the end!) Beach vacations are wonderful for relaxing. The moment I hear the ocean, I am more relaxed. Every time. Why is that? (Perhaps it has something to do with that nature thing?) The mountains do this for me, as well. It is deafening-quiet in the mountains. Why is that?
- Meditating, praying, and reading the Bible are all wonderful, spiritual, ways to rest your body and mind. I saved these for last because these relaxation techniques are simple, easy, free, and put you at one with Him. These are perfect ways to Be Still.
Relaxing comes easy for me these days. Again, through my writing, my age, PsA, or is it that I have learned the fine art of Being Still? Whatever the reason, I enjoy relaxing. I no longer have guilt because of it. Why should we feel guilty and lazy for the need to rest your body and mind? We shouldn’t–so stop that! Realizing that simple fact will relax you!
I hope for you some relaxation! You deserve it. After working hard, doing whatever it is you do; relax! Rest your body and mind. You will thank yourself for it!
love and blessings~dd
Another way to gain relaxation, in December, is to start your Christmas shopping now, in September. I wrote an article for Waco Moms Blog about why you should!!
If you enjoyed these words, Click here NOW and I will send you New words of wisdom in your inbox. Imagine getting the blog post Instantly! Fill in your name below! And, as always–thank you!
Affiliate Links: Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”